The Judy & Brant Bynum Fine Art Award
Entries must be received at the Artists’ Guild of Spartanburg by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 28, 2021.
The Judy & Brant Bynum Fine Art Award, of $500, is offered annually to rising college juniors majoring in Fine Art (2D or 3D) at a college or university in Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Eligible applicants must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and be currently enrolled at Spartanburg college or university.
The Judy & Brant Bynum Fine Art Award is based on both merit and need, yet weighted toward merit.
Students will mail or deliver original artwork and other required documentation to the Artists’ Guild of Spartanburg located at The Chapman Cultural Center in Spartanburg, SC.
Gallery located at 200 East St. John Street, Spartanburg, SC 29306.
The deadline to submit an entry is April 28, 2021, and must be delivered to the Artists’ Guild of Spartanburg by 5:00 p.m. or postmarked on or before April 28, 2021. Entries will not be accepted after the deadline. Entries should have been created during the 2020-21 school year.
The Judy & Brant Bynum Fine Art Award will be given during Spartanburg Art Walk on Thursday, May 20, 2021 at a 7:00 pm reception at the Artists’ Guild of Spartanburg Gallery located within the Chapman Cultural Center campus. The Artists’ Guild of Spartanburg will make the necessary arrangements to transfer the award funds directly to the Spartanburg County college or university of the student’s choice. The award recipient may also be recognized by their college or university.
● Students must currently be enrolled as an art major in his/her sophomore year at a Spartanburg college or university.
● Students must plan to continue their education at a Spartanburg college or university as an art major.
● Students must be a U.S. citizen.
● Entry criteria is defined as an original artwork that must be a completed, rendered visual composition originated by the applicant. Artwork can be 2D or 3D.
● Entries produced in collaboration with others are not eligible for this competition.
● A panel of professional visual artists will select the award recipient.
● The decision of the award panel is final.
● Artwork counts for 75 percent of the total score.
● Applicants must submit an Artist's Statement
The Artists’ Guild of Spartanburg is committed to supporting Fine Art education in our community. In keeping with our mission we:
Host an Annual Youth Juried Show for Spartanburg County K-12 students in March
Donate art supplies to local art teachers and students through our Angel Tree Program each December
Thanks to the generosity of Judy and Brant Bynum, who will fund this $500 Award each spring, the Artists’ Guild of Spartanburg can support Fine Art students in their passionate pursuit of a career in visual arts.
“An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.”